average joe

Short progress post

Yesterday I finished my model, or at least I think I did. Had few issues with mirroring geometry(at the end deleting history worked. Too bad I spend almost an hour on trying to figure out what was wrong). His nose isn’t perfect and it looks different to what Andy originally did on his model. Also eyes of my Average Joe turned out to be smaller than there were supposed to be. I feel like I should paint him now, but I want to start working on blend shapes now. Also I’ve decided to use Sketchfab to show my progress, as well as posting few screenshots. However it seems that embedding sketchfab’s models doesn’t work on WordPress, so you still have to click on a link.

newer_average_joe_finished_wireframe newer_average_joe_finished

Not smoothed version:

https://sketchfab.com/models/f3ed1cf52d3a4aa084f2a1d3d7418b28/embed?autospin=0.2&autostart=1&blending=1

Average Joe by Kamil
by kmanysiak
on Sketchfab

Smoothed version:

https://sketchfab.com/models/f68826e9958e4c1aacabbe2a3ff4d731/embed?autospin=0.2&autostart=1&blending=1

Average Joeby Kamil Smooth
by kmanysiak
on Sketchfab

Advertisements

Head modelling progress – mouth and nose

To be honest I should be much more further than I am at this point, but I feel that this  character will be finally finished this week. I spend too much time playing with vertexes and moving them around and at the end I undo everything and come to back to the starting point. I’m still not satisfied with its mouth, maybe adding some edges around would help. In some places his face looks like it’s “stretched” and I’m having problems fixing it. Also it kind of looks like his wearing glasses or googles which isn’t the look I was going for. It especially looked very bad around his nose but I managed to fix it, as you can see on the last picture. I will keep playing with and I think I could do his neck tomorrow and then start doing some blendshapes or rig him.

newer_average_joe_face newer_average_joe_face_side newer_average_joe_face_smooted newer_average_joe_face_smooted2

Head modelling progress

This is going ot be a rather short post. Recently I’ve started working on my character’s head. After getting a similar shape to what it looked like on the drawings I’ve started modelling eyes and eye sockets.  Here’s few screenshots and renders of what it looks right now. Usually when doing eyes I extrude faces few times, pull some of them back and just play around with them. That’s the technique I’ve used for my previous models of this character so you can see some results in my previous posts on this blog. This time I’ve decided to do something different. I’ve deleted 4 faces and created a polygon pipe instead. It had 8 sides, which is important when I bridge them with the rest of the head model. You can see the result of this on my first screenshot. Eyes still need more work but I think I’m going in the right direction.

newer_average_joe_head1newer_average_joe_head newer_average_joe_head_smooth newer_average_joe_head_smooth2

Modelling character

Few weeks ago Andy gave us two drawing of a character he’s drawn and asked us to model it in Maya. Below you can see my progress. I actually have done three different models by now, as I wasn’t satisfied with the results I was getting and it also gave me extra practice.

First attempt:

average_joe_1 average_joe_hand1 average_joe_hand2 average_joe_hand2_smooth average_joe_issues_with_vertex

As you can see I had an issue with my vertexes when I was trying to mirror the head. At that time I thought that while modelling I did something wrong so I’ve decided to start over and create a new head.

average_joe_new_head average_joe_new_head_works average_joe_2

So here even that I managed to get the vertexes right(it turned out to be a threshold issue while merging them. I changed it and it worked fine) the character still looked quiet odd. I was using a different technique to create eyelids and it didn’t match the original drawing. Also his neck looked very squarey and I didn’t like it. So again I’ve started the model again.

newer_average_joe_leg newer_average_joe_leg_arm newer_average_joe_leg_arm_smoothed newer_average_joe_handjpg newer_average_joe_hand_smooth newer_average_joe_hand_thumb newer_average_joe

Here’s the latest version which I am quiet happy with, even though the hands seemed to be too large. There are still some issues, his body still looks “boxy” so I will have to work on this. I will try to fix it this week and also model his new head.