A quick post before the final hand in. As I wasn’t satisfied with my final animation, and my character in general, over the last few weeks I was working on improving it. One of the changes that I did is slightly remodelled character’s head and his face. I’ve also gave him different eyes. As we can see his faces isn’t as “boxy” as it was before. His face looks smoother, at least to me. Removing few edges from his face and keeping it quiet low when it comes to edge count also helped when it came to creating blendshapes, something that I’ve struggled with with the previous model. The eyes bring completely new appeal to the character, actually having an iris makes him look more alive and in my opinion is just more aesthetically pleasing to everyone. Their shape changed as well, as you can see below. They’re much more spherical than before.
This is a recent a progress I made with my character. His skin looks slightly different on these screenshots than it looks in Maya on the PC, which is slightly worrying me. I’ve added an extra paint layer on which I’ve added some pink onto his face, to make it look better as the colours seemed to me to be very cold before. I mainly painted in “Flatten to UV” mode, as it is probably the easiest and quickest way to do it in Mudbox. His face seems to be a bit to shiny, I’m guessing some lighting setup was also imported from Mudbox, but I think I can go around it in a final stage, when I set up my own lights in the scene, so I’m not too worried about it right now.
So last week I’ve started working on my final project, a short animation in which I’m going to show everything that I’ve learnt about facial animation this year. I’ve got to admit that it’s going a bit slower that I’ve planned, as always I have some issues when modelling character’s head. I should get it fixed by the end of this week. Plan for next week is to have this character finished and show some progress in modelling female character.
Yesterday I finished my model, or at least I think I did. Had few issues with mirroring geometry(at the end deleting history worked. Too bad I spend almost an hour on trying to figure out what was wrong). His nose isn’t perfect and it looks different to what Andy originally did on his model. Also eyes of my Average Joe turned out to be smaller than there were supposed to be. I feel like I should paint him now, but I want to start working on blend shapes now. Also I’ve decided to use Sketchfab to show my progress, as well as posting few screenshots. However it seems that embedding sketchfab’s models doesn’t work on WordPress, so you still have to click on a link.
Not smoothed version:
To be honest I should be much more further than I am at this point, but I feel that this character will be finally finished this week. I spend too much time playing with vertexes and moving them around and at the end I undo everything and come to back to the starting point. I’m still not satisfied with its mouth, maybe adding some edges around would help. In some places his face looks like it’s “stretched” and I’m having problems fixing it. Also it kind of looks like his wearing glasses or googles which isn’t the look I was going for. It especially looked very bad around his nose but I managed to fix it, as you can see on the last picture. I will keep playing with and I think I could do his neck tomorrow and then start doing some blendshapes or rig him.
This is going ot be a rather short post. Recently I’ve started working on my character’s head. After getting a similar shape to what it looked like on the drawings I’ve started modelling eyes and eye sockets. Here’s few screenshots and renders of what it looks right now. Usually when doing eyes I extrude faces few times, pull some of them back and just play around with them. That’s the technique I’ve used for my previous models of this character so you can see some results in my previous posts on this blog. This time I’ve decided to do something different. I’ve deleted 4 faces and created a polygon pipe instead. It had 8 sides, which is important when I bridge them with the rest of the head model. You can see the result of this on my first screenshot. Eyes still need more work but I think I’m going in the right direction.
Few weeks ago Andy gave us two drawing of a character he’s drawn and asked us to model it in Maya. Below you can see my progress. I actually have done three different models by now, as I wasn’t satisfied with the results I was getting and it also gave me extra practice.
As you can see I had an issue with my vertexes when I was trying to mirror the head. At that time I thought that while modelling I did something wrong so I’ve decided to start over and create a new head.
So here even that I managed to get the vertexes right(it turned out to be a threshold issue while merging them. I changed it and it worked fine) the character still looked quiet odd. I was using a different technique to create eyelids and it didn’t match the original drawing. Also his neck looked very squarey and I didn’t like it. So again I’ve started the model again.
Here’s the latest version which I am quiet happy with, even though the hands seemed to be too large. There are still some issues, his body still looks “boxy” so I will have to work on this. I will try to fix it this week and also model his new head.